Service Access & Management, Inc.

Board Log In

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Service Access & Management, Inc.

Office of Long Term Living OLTL
Office of Long Term Living OLTL

Representative Payee is a service provided to individuals who cannot manage their own money and have no one else to manage it.  A representative payee is a person or organization appointed to receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income and/or benefits for such individuals.  The law requires that most minor children and all legally incompetent adults have Representative Payees.

Representative Payees are responsible to use an individual’s benefits to pay for his or her current needs, properly save any benefits not needed immediately, and prepare for foreseeable needs.

Representative payees must keep records of expenses, provide an accounting to the Social Security Administration of how benefits were used or saved.  Power of attorney, being an authorized representative, or having a joint bank account with an individual in need is not the same thing as being a Representative Payee.  In order to be a Representative Payee, a person or organization must apply for and be appointed by the Social Security Administration. 

Representative Payees:

  • Determine the beneficiary’s needs and use his or her payments to meet those needs;
  • Save any money left after meeting the beneficiary’s current needs in an interest bearing account or savings bonds for the beneficiary’s future needs;
  • Report any changes or events which could affect the beneficiary’s eligibility for benefits or payment amount;
  • Keep records of all payments received and how they are spent and/or saved;
  • Provide benefit information to social service agencies or medical facilities that serve the beneficiary;
  • Help the beneficiary get medical treatment when necessary;
  • Notify SSA of any changes in your (the payee’s) circumstances that would affect your performance or continuing as payee;
  • Complete written reports accounting for the use of funds; and
  • Return any payments to which the beneficiary is not entitled to SSA.

SAM provides this service in the following counties: